Friday, January 6, 2012

Beginning Your UDK Game: Tools Setup

Hello reader! Whether or not you are brand new to programming in general, programming with UDK, this will set you up with the tools you need to have to make awesome!

At the end of this tutorial, you will have:

  1. A copy of the Unreal Development Kit installed (at the time of writing, version Dec. 2011)

  2. Visual Studio 2010 with Version 1862.1 or higher of Visual Assist X installed with UnrealScript auto-complete


    • Or Wotgreal if you do not have access to Visual Studio 2010


  3. UnCodeX for browsing UnrealScript code

  4. Everything set up for you to begin a new game project!


Things you will need to download:

  1. The Unreal Development Kit

  2. Visual Studio 2010 (or Wotgreal)

  3. Version 1862.1 of Visual Assist X (if using Visual Studio 2010) You must use Version 1862.1 or higher of Visual Assist X

  4. UnCodeX

  5. [download id="8" format="1"]


This video comes in two flavors. The first video is for people who are brand new or have no idea whats going on:



This second video is a much shorter rapid fire approach to the above, and is either for those without patience or who already know what they are doing but would just like to get Visual Assist X working properly:

21 comments:

  1. Thought I mentioned that but maybe I didn't, I'll put it in the writing to be sure. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The link in your post just goes to the homepage. 1862.1 isn't on the download page yet. 1862.0 is but it doesn't work properly with uc files.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh, how about that. I uninstalled VAX and installed it just just prior to making this and it worked, but maybe I goofed and kept the 1862.1 installed anyways. Thanks for the heads up, sorry for the discrepancy. It has been over a year since I posted my last tutorial article, guess I'm still getting into the swing of things again. Also, thanks to you and everyone else behind Visual Assist X... I can never go back to C++ without it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. crud - I hit the wrong reply button - can you move the text?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, I can't... wow. I... can't? Sorry, I would of thought my comment plugin (IntenseDebate) would allow restructuring of comments when I first installed it. D:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello and thank you for the video ! I finished doing what you show in your video. Just wanted to say thanks and waiting for more videos for us fledgling developers :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much for the post, really useful Allar! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually I'm not quite sure why the code isn't being recognized by Visual Studio... Once I finish all the steps and open the "Development" project that I downloaded from the blog I got coloured code but I got many errors from the compiler like Error: identifier "Object" is undefined and things like that... Any ideas? I followed step by step, do I need nFringe or what's missing? Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anyways, al the errors are coming from Intellisense, not pretty sure about how bad is that. Tried to build the project and it succeeds but I got an error saying that the program can't find the "Development.exe" file which should be located at 'C:\UDK\UDK-2011-12\Development\Debug\Development.exe' I really don't get what's going on... :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Huh, I'm a bit busy this weekend but when I get back I'll look into this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm having the exact same problem :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. My visual studio thinks your provided Development solution is a VC++ project and not an unrealscript one, I think that's why this problem is happening

    ReplyDelete
  13. VAX requires it to be a C++ project for it to work. I can't replicate the issue on my end but I'll keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, if you go to Tools - Options - Text Editor - C/C++ - Advanced, then scroll down to Intellisence, then click Intellisence True, it will fix that problem... Only thing is you have to re-enable it for your C/C++ Projects...but it works... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, in Visual Studio go to Tools - Options - Text Editor - C/C++ - Advanced, scroll down to Intellisense, disable Intellisense true.. Turn back on in c/c++ projects if you want...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you use nFringe to setup a project in addition to this to allow you to run from VS? Or is that what the "next" tutorial is to cover, for setting that up with the "Development" solution provided?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I guess I should specify, I'm interested in using VS without using nFringe...if that is feasible. Thanks, and you have some wonderful tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Do you need visual studios n visual assist? is there any other option?

    ReplyDelete
  19. You could just use notepad if you wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic contribution man. Thanks for the step-by-step videos...really appreciate that....keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete